Paper.li is a web based application that creates a newspaper out of any Twitter feed or Facebook search, complete with categories, headlines, photos, and videos.
It is a fantastic service that helps to reduce information overload by creating a very readable Newspaper out of the links and videos that are shared on the social networks.
Why Use Paper.li?
If you use Twitter, then you probably follow hundreds if not thousands of people. Filtering through all of those tweets for useful information can be difficult. Paper.li is an easy way to see what links, blog posts, photos, and videos people are sharing on Twitter.
Paper.li Newspaper vs. A Twitter Stream
I currently follow 124 appraisers and appraisal companies on Twitter. The screenshot below shows the twitter stream vs a newspaper created on that stream. The twitter stream is on the left and the newspaper is on the right.
Can you see the difference between the two? The newspaper takes all of the links, images, and videos and automatically arranges them into into a very readable format.
How Does Paper.li Work?
Paper.li takes all of the tweets that contain links and extracts the content (blog posts, photos, videos, etc.). They analyze the text for topics (technology, travel, business, etc.) and then construct a newspaper frontpage using the articles, videos, and phtos.
How To Create Your Own Paper.li
To create a Paper.li newspaper of your own, sign in with your Twitter or Facebook account and click on “Create a Newspaper”.
You can create a paper based on:
a Twitter user
a Twitter tag
a Twitter list
a Facebook search
Or a custom Twitter search.
The custom paper allows you to query Twitter with a more complex search term than just a #tag. You can also restrict the Twitter users that can contribute content to the paper by specifying a Twitter list.
That is it!
Press create and Paper.li will begin importing the most interesting news stories put out by your chosen user. As of right now, you can create 10 newspapers.
By default your paper.li newspaper is updated once every 24 hours. You can change the frequency to morning and evening or weekly editions by going to the settings page.
6 Other Features Of Paper.li
1. You can search for papers that have already been created. For example, you could find newspaper that have been created based on the topic “Real Estate”. There are currently 5 pages of papers that have been created for the term “Real Estate”.
2. You can search for papers that focus on a predefined topic such as technology or health.
3. You can create a Facebook paper.
You can create Papers based on a search of all public posts on Facebook (this means posts from people that have set their profile/wall to ‘public’). Paper.li will extracts all links, videos and photos, analyzes them, ranks them and creates the paper in a similar fashion to Twitter papers.
4. You can access previous editions of a paper. Just scroll to the bottom of a newspaper and select a day from the archives calendar.
5. You can embed a widget on any blog or web page. Click the “Promote it” link at the top of a newspaper and click on “embed its widget”.
6. You can create a paper from Twitter searches. Refer to the Paper.li website for a list of supported operators to construct this search query, http://paper.li/faq.html
- Paper.li is a great way to find out what people are sharing on Twitter, especially in your niche.
- It is a great way to organize information about a particular topic or market area.
- It is an easy way to create a newspaper filled with information that matters to you.
I have made a newspaper for the real estate appraisers and companies that I follow on Twitter. You can view it here: http://paper.li/bryanmcdee/appraisers
Ryan Lundquist has made a paper from local businesses in the Sacramento area. You can view it here: http://paper.li/SacAppraiser/sacramento-area-business
Have you created a newspaper using Paper.li? Leave its link in the comment section below.