MapQuest Has A Free iPhone App. And It Is Awesome!

MapQuest

by Bryan McDonald on April 30, 2010

MapQuest released a FREE iPhone app that includes voice navigation.  Not only does the app work extremely well, but it also includes features such as auto reroute and the ability to map multiple addresses.

MapQuest® 4 Mobile brings over a decade of digital mapping experience to your iPhone® with unique features to help you get where you’re going. Try Voice-Guidance, our latest addition to Driving Directions, for a more hands-free experience!

Watch the video below for a hands on demonstration.

Click HERE if you can not see the embedded video above.

Here are some of the great features:

Voice Guidance

Voice guidance tells you when to turn and informs you of upcoming turns.

MapQuest11

Map Multiple Addresses

Not only can you map multiple addresses, you can easily rearrange the addresses to optimize your route.  The picture below shows me rearranging the destinations by dragging the 3rd address to the 2nd position.

MapQuest4

I previously wrote how to map multiple addresses on your iPhone with Google Maps.  Mapping multiple addresses with MapQuest is much easier.

Reroute Assistance

The app will ask you if you want the to be rerouted if you go of course.

MapQuest2

Access Saved Maps From MapQuest.com

Maps created and saved on your desktop at MapQuest.com can be accessed on your iPhone.  All of you saved maps are located under “My Maps” on the iPhone app.

MapQuest10

Business Search

You can search for local business and have them mapped.

MapQuest8

Search for addresses and businesses separately

This is a nice feature that lets the application knows you are searching for an address versus searching for a business name.

MapQuest9

Pick Your Icon

Pick what icon to use to represent you on the map.  This might not be a useful feature but it is fun.

MapQuest5

MapQuest raised the bar when creating this free app.  The app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.  It requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later.  The app is free and available in the app store.

What GPS device do you use?

{ 12 comments }

Wendell Browne April 30, 2010 at 9:41 pm

That looks pretty cool, Bryan ! ; especially with the ease of the multiple address screen. Thanks for the info. I will have to download that one and try it out

Avatar of Bryan McDonald Bryan McDonald May 1, 2010 at 6:40 am

Thanks Wendell. I am always looking for an easy way to map multiple addresses when I am doing a real estate appraisal. The MapQuest app makes it pretty easy.

Ryan Lundquist May 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I’ll have to see if the Android has MapQuest. I use Google Maps and I’m really happy with it, but I wonder if there is a “multiple destination” feature.

Avatar of Bryan McDonald Bryan McDonald May 3, 2010 at 8:21 am

Thanks Ryan.

I couldn’t find how to map multiple addresses with the Google Maps app other than creating a map with multiple destinations on the desktop and emailing the map to myself. Let me know if you can find a way to do it on the app.

Jessica Feaster May 7, 2010 at 11:23 am

Hi Bryan – Glad to hear you like the MapQuest 4 Mobile app on iPhone! We often release updates so stay posted. Our blog is a great resource for this: blog.mapquest.com

I also wanted to let you know about a new tool called MapQuest Route Planner that we just launched. The tool lets you enter up to 25 addresses and then will optimize it based on shortest route or distance. It offers a round trip option and also offers a notes section for each stop (e.g. lock box code, etc). We created the product with Realtors in mind, so you should definitely check it out. http://www.mapquest.com/routeplanner

Feel free to email me with questions!

Avatar of Bryan McDonald Bryan McDonald May 7, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Jessica. Thanks for the tip. The Route Planner looks really good and this is something that will be helpful to both real estate agents and real estate appraisers! Thanks!

Eric May 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm

There just ain’t anything better than getting EXACTLY what you need. I have an Iphone and have to visit various businesses to verify, and collect, information and the Mapquest app is awesome. Jessica then pointed me to the perfect free program for my needs but I’m still wondering if it can be viewed on iPhone, or at least printed out.

Thanks!
Eric
ps. Got here using: iphone application multiple route mapping ;)

Jessica Feaster May 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Glad to hear both MapQuest 4 Mobile iPhone and Route Planner are helpful! Route Planner is not yet available on iPhone, but you can use it online and then print out or email the directions. The url is http://www.mapquest.com/routeplanner
There’s a feedback button on the Route Planner page as well – feel free to give us your thoughts after you use it. Thanks!

Avatar of Bryan McDonald Bryan McDonald May 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Jessica, You said route planner is not YET available on the iPhone. Does that mean it will be available on the iPhone one day? That would be great!

Eric May 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm

@Jessica –

Thanks for getting back. I have a suggestion. For those who like both, it’s simple enough to enter the info into the trip router to get the fastest line-up, and then enter them in the new order into the iphone app. It’s the best way right now to get the power of both… plan with the router, then get the functionality of the app.

I’m gonna do it that way for now, thanks!
Eric

Eric May 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm

update -

I signed up for an AOL account to use the trip routing service but, even checking to make sure Java was enabled, it isn’t working. It won’t allow tab switching and no entry area comes up. :(

Jessica Feaster May 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Eric – Our customer support team is going to be the most helpful resource for something like this. Please go to the forums on our help site and a customer support rep will be in touch with you. Here’s the link to the forum: http://forums.mapquesthelp.com

Previous post: